I need your help. Will you share your story?

Fellow Inside919ers,From the spring of 2001 to the fall of 2003 I served the on the Board of Directors and worked as the Shelter Manager for the SPCA of Wake County. My work with this amazing organization has inspired me to start a non-profit called Pets Reconnected to address the issue of lost and missing animals and the unnecessarily high pet euthanasia rates across our country. As a part of this project I feel that there is a story to be told. With that in mind I am writing a book about the experience of losing a pet.As a teenager, I had that experience of the pet that slips out and goes missing for an hour or two. Fortunately for me, I don't remember that case where the pet never returned. I do know though what it feels like to find another person's pet and then imagine how they may be feeling; not knowing where their trusted companion is or how he or she may be doing.My work with the SPCA of Wake County, Durham County APS, and animal rescue groups in the area has afforded me thousands of stories, but they are all from the pet's perspective. And since I'm still not fluent in dog or cat speak I need your help. If you have ever in your lifetime lost a pet (not referring to passed away or put to sleep) would you be willing to share your story for possible inclusion in a book?My intent is to increase public awareness about the pain we feel as people, as a community, and as a country when our friends and companions go missing... and to share how much of this is preventable. I feel that what I have to say here is important, but it is just a small piece of the project. What will give it power, what will make it real for readers is your part. Your willingness to tell your story could cause another pet owner to take steps that may save their pet's life.So, are you willing to share your story?Note:Nationally, more than 60% of the dogs and cats that enter animal shelters are euthanized before they can be reunited with their owners. Will you help me make a difference?

Network Sponsors